Francis T. Cermak
Francis Cermak received his B.A. in Political Science and Public Policy in 1997 from North Central College in Naperville, where he was honored as the top graduate in Political Science. He received his Juris Doctorate in 2000 from DePaul University College of Law, where he was a legal writing teaching assistant, member of the Executive Board of the Moot Court Society and won two national Moot Court Competitions.
Francis’ practice is concentrated in criminal misdemeanor, traffic and family law, including prenuptial agreements, divorce, post decree matters, custody, allocation of parental responsibilities, child support, paternity and enforcement of alimony, maintenance and child decision making issues. Francis has prepared and argued appeals before the State of Illinois Appellate Court concerning Duty of Care, Open Meetings Act, and School Boundary issues.
Francis served as a DuPage County Assistant State’s Attorney in the Civil Prosecution Bureau for 12 years, focusing on government litigation, and advising elected officials and county departments, including the DuPage County Board, the Regional Superintendent of Schools, Animal Care & Control, and the County’s Convalescent Center and Health Departments. He also defended the County of DuPage in state and federal courts in personal injury and civil rights litigation. He also previously worked as a staff attorney for the 18th Judicial Circuit Court from 2000-2002.
Francis is active in the DuPage County Bar Association, and has previously served as Chair of the DCBA’s School Law, Local Government and Health Care Law Committees. He has also served on the Illinois State Bar Association’s Government Lawyers Executive Committee. Francis has previously taught Appellate Advocacy and coached moot court teams at DePaul University College of Law, and has taught Trial Advocacy and coached Mock Trial teams at North Central College.
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, IL, May 2000, J.D.
- North Central College, Naperville, IL, May 1997, B.A. (Political Science & Public Policy)
- College of DuPage, Lombard, IL, May 1995, A.A.
- Illinois 2000
Public Speaking and Seminars
- Changing Boundaries: An Overview of the School District Detachment and Annexation Process
- Mandated Reporting & Reciprocal Reporting Agreements with Local Sheriffs
- Criminal Management of Property & Slum Land Lord Prosecution
- Social Media Missteps for School & Government Employees
- Email and Attorney-Client Privilege Pitfalls
- Overview of a Nursing Home Involuntary Discharge & Transfer Hearing
Honors and Awards
- 1998-99 - Executive Board of Moot Court Society (DePaul Law)
- Won two national Moot Court Competitions
- 1997 - Top Graduate in Political Science (North Central College)
- 1995 – President of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (College of DuPage)
- Elite Lawyer, 2019-Present
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Chair, School Law Committee
- Chair, Local Government Committee
- Chair, Health Care Law Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Government Lawyers Executive Committee, Past Member
- New Lawyer Committee, Past Member